It’s safe to say the HVAC industry has changed dramatically over the last few years. One of the most significant changes has been digitization and automation. Specifically, it’s field service management software that has made it possible for HVAC business owners to do more with less. Using it, they can do a better job of staying connected with their customers, team, and suppliers. On top of that, they can streamline operations, save time, and boost efficiency. This article will explore exactly what HVAC business software is, the signs you’re ready for it, and the benefits of using them. Lastly, we’ll round this out with our 3 favorite field service management solutions on the market right now.
What is HVAC Business Software?
HVAC software is a business owners’ dream come true! Probably a little over the top, but it’s mostly a valid statement. In all honestly, it’s a computer application that runs on a local PC, tablet, or smartphone. Software is boring. It’s the functionality that makes it exciting. Using the cloud, you and your team are able to work from any device, anywhere. In just a few clicks routine tasks such as quotes, invoices, and schedules can be flawlessly executed.
Signs You’re Ready for HVAC Business Software
Before we dive into the glaring signs you need software, it’s important you first reflect on how things went last week. When you look back:
- are you happy with your current operations?
- how much time did you spend on manual processes?
- did every one of your staff and customers get exactly what they wanted when they needed it?
If you answered no, or spent more than an hour on manual processes that can be automated with software, it’s time to make the move. If you’re on the fence or pondering whether your HVAC business is ready, here are some crystal clear signs that indicate you have a dire need:
- You have more than 10 employees. Translation: too many moving parts.
- It’s a struggle to keep track of anything.
- Pain points are recurring.
- Cracks are turning into gaping holes.
- Using antiquated Excel spreadsheets to manage your customer contact list and send out quotes.
If any of these resonate with you, it’s probably time to check out HVAC software solutions for your business.
Benefits of Using HVAC Business Software
When you’re just starting out, your 1-3 person team is easy to manage with manual processes. The great thing about these manual processes is they cost little-to-no money. There’s an inflection point in the process of growing your business, and that’s when it’s time to pivot to software. Ideally, you identify the growing pains sooner than later. Keeping things organized is a key element in establishing a business built for growth. This is where software comes into play. It can be the difference between having a successful or failing business.
Here are some of the top benefits you’re sure to enjoy with HVAC software solutions:
- Cut costs: By using software to automate many of your manual day-to-day operations will free up time to focus on on things that matter… Like growing your business.
- Maximize profits: Aside from saving money, you’ll increase profits with software. Software simplifies the creation of sales proposals/quotes/invoices.
- Improved efficiency: Giving your team easy and instant access to the data they need in the field shaves minutes off quoting and invoicing customers. It also mitigates human errors.
- Reduce stress: As a business owner, the more time and money you save with software solutions, the less stressed and tied up in paperwork you’ll be.
- Work smarter, not harder: Updating your company on the latest technology will show your staff and customers that you’re ready to grow and improve.
- One solution: The best solutions available to you put everything you need into one place. Billing, invoicing, dispatching, or communicating with your customers or team.
- Boost customer relationships: Build trust and transparency with your customers before and after scheduled services.
Related Reading: Tips to Monitor and Improve Your Online Reputation – Since we’re on the sexy subject of software, here’s one that can help keep your business’ rep intact – Learn more about reputation management software ➞
Best HVAC Field Service Management Software 2021
If you’ve determined you’re ready to make the move, here’s what to do next. The first thing you need to do is check out these 3 options:
ServiceTitan: This platform gives you the ability to build HVAC templates, text your customers, and easily create HVAC proposals.
FieldEdge: Highlights include simplifying routine tasks like dispatching and scheduling. Mobile (CRM) customer relationship management, paperless invoicing, and seamless integration with Quickbooks.
Housecall Pro: Handles scheduling and dispatching, estimates and job management, and invoices and payments.
You’ll first notice they come with many of the same standard features. There are 1 or 2 features that help them differentiate from eachother. At the end of the day, know they all work to improve your workflow. That’s why it’s important to do your due diligence to determine which one best fits your budget and needs. If you’re having trouble deciding, here’s a great starting point – Determine what your biggest pain point is and decide on the solution that can best address it.